GCSE PE

Why should I study PE?

This subject is aimed at improving your knowledge and skills in a wide range of activities. The GCSE PE specification wants you to be an all-round practical performer and have a wide knowledge base in the theory content. This course will develop you, not just physically, but also mentally and socially. Consequently, you will certainly improve your overall health over the two-year period.

You will learn a lot about how to train effectively, how people learn and how to take better care of yourself in the sporting environment and in a general sense. If you have any ambitions of working in the sporting domain or studying sport at a higher level, this is the place to start.

If you are interested in sport, if you play a lot of sport and you are keen to acquire new knowledge and skills – then you will love the GCSE PE course.

To find out what we will be studying in GCSE PE, please click on the link to download the curriculum →

Y10 PE

Download Curriculum

What is the theory content like?

Quite a bit of GCSE PE theory is science-based. There is one topic on applied anatomy and physiology and one topic on psychology. Doing well in the final exam requires you to remember hard facts and then apply them to sport. As well as playing sport, watching and following sport closely really helps.

How will I get marked in the practical setting?

The exam board write out specific marking criteria that teachers must carefully follow. The assessments must take place in a competitive situation, so it helps if you are used to this. The exam board also send a moderator to each school to check the teachers’ marking is fair.

What is the theory content like?

The exam board has a long list with most, but not all, major activities included, so speak to the PE department to be sure. The GCSE PE course involves you participating in badminton and basketball, and either competitive swimming or athletics. Most pupils are assessed in around six activities but, by the end of the course, pupils need to narrow this down to three activities for submission: one team sport, one individual sport and one of either towards their overall grade. Most pupils have at least one sport they are committed to outside of school.

How will I be assessed?

The final exam is worth 60% of the overall grade, with the remaining 40% coming from coursework. This is broken down as follows:

Paper 1: The Human Body and Movement in Physical Activity and Sport

  • Exam duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
  • 78 marks
  • Worth 30% of final mark

Paper 2: Socio-Cultural Influences and Well-being in Physical Activity and Sport

  • Exam duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
  • 78 marks
  • Worth 30% of final mark

Non-Exam Assessment: Practical Performance in Physical Activity and Sport

  • Three different activities assessed in the role of player/performer, each activity worth 10% of your GCSE.
  • The final 10% of your qualification comes from a written analysis and evaluation of performance using the theory content you have learned.

What are the next steps?

Should you wish to choose GCSE PE, you will need to add it as the main choice in either the Option 3 or Option 4 box. If you have any further questions about this course, please contact our Teacher of PE, Mr McAdam, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

ofstead good provider"The school places a high value on developing well-rounded young people who are respectful, polite and industrious." – Ofsted

BELIEVE  l  ENDEAVOUR  l  SUCCEED

Founded in 1503, Bridgnorth Endowed School has a rich and long history in education.

Today, it is a vibrant non-selective co-educational secondary school that offers great facilities, high quality teaching and an exciting choice of extra-curricular activities.

The school benefits from a thirty-acre campus and its own on-site leisure centre, with all the convenience of a town centre location.

Bridgnorth Endowed School
Northgate, Bridgnorth
Shropshire, WV16 4ER

01746 762103
admin@bridgnorthendowed.co.uk

 
Connect With Us: