1503

The school was founded during the reign of Henry VII and was established as a 'common school' by the Corporation of the Borough of Bridgnorth.

1547

Following an Act of Parliament that dissolved chantry chapels, an endowment of £8 a year was set aside from the revenues of the Chantry of St Leonard’s for a schoolmaster to run a grammar school there.

1556

The first named Schoolmaster was Reuben Steenton.

1595

A barn that had been used as the chapel of St John the Baptist, first housed the school. This was replaced by a building in St Leonard's Close known as the 'Old Grammar School'.

1635

Sir John Hayward, an MP for the town, bequeathed £100 to the school in his will. Previously, his father, Sir Rowland Hayward, a successful Bridgnorth merchant who went on to become Lord Mayor of London twice, endowed the school with an annual payment of £20.

1639

Sir William Whitmore of Apley Park leased a new building in St Leonard’s Close to the town. This included three individual dwellings, with the scholars housed in one, the schoolmaster in another and the incumbent of St Leonard’s in the third.

1746

Edward Careswell of Bobbington left money in his will to enable scholars from six Shropshire schools, one of which was the Bridgnorth Grammar School, to have a subsidised university education at Christ Church College Oxford.

1821

There were just ten boys at the school when Dr Thomas Rowley became Headmaster. Having studied at Christ Church, Oxford, the school's reputation increased and pupil numbers rose to about 150.

1902

A.J. Balfour’s Education Act created Education Authorities and Shropshire County Council began to exercise its duty as an Education Authority.

1909

The school passed into the control of Shropshire County Council – it was the County Council’s first secondary school.

1909

The new grammar school building at Northgate opened with three members of staff and 93 boys.

1909

The Girls’ High School moved, along with the boys’ school, into the new premises but boys and girls were kept separate.

1927

During the First World War, 39 ‘old boys’ including three masters, lost their lives in active service and, in commemoration, a War Memorial Board containing the names of the fallen was unveiled in the school.

1928

The financial climate of the times helped to force the decision to fully amalgamate the two schools.

1930

The school was reorganised and became a mixed school.

1941-1945

The school played a big part locally in the war effort, its buildings and playing fields being used by the Air Training Corps, the Women’s Junior Air Corps, the Scouts, the Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs, the Fire Brigade, the Homeguard and the RAF.

Late 1940's

The school expanded and a building programme began, including a new dining hall and kitchen and a domestic science room.

1950's

New chemistry and biology laboratories were built.

1955

The school was granted voluntary controlled status by the Ministry of Education.

1974

The school's name was changed from Bridgnorth Grammar School to Bridgnorth Endowed School, when it began the transition from grammar to comprehensive.

1974

New science block opened.

1976

The Sports and Leisure Centre was opened by Princess Anne.

1979

A team of students swam the English Channel in a record time of 13 hours 34 minutes. They were the first Salopians to do this since Captain Webb who was also the first person ever to swim the Channel. Their record still stands.

1980's

With over 1000 pupils and 63 teachers, the building programme continued and the school flourished.

1991

The school was named as being among the top ten comprehensives in Britain for the quality of its A Level results.

1994

The library was moved to the heart of the building and a new administration block was built. More computer rooms were added and the provision for Sixth Form was improved.

1999

Building projects continued, including another large technology suite and expansion of the library.

2000

The school was awarded specialist status as a Technology College.

2003

A clock was erected on the outside of the main building to mark the school's 500th anniversary.

2013

Bridgnorth Endowed School converted to become an academy school on 1st March 2013.

Bridgnorth Endowed School Houses

Named after famous alumni of the school:

Rowley

Dr. Thomas Rowley (1796-1877)
Successful Headmaster in the 19th century

Hardwicke

Sir Cedric Hardwicke (1893-1964)
Hollywood and stage actor

Washbrook

Cyril Washbrook (1914-1999)
Cricketer who played for Lancashire and England

ofstead good provider"The school places a high value on developing well-rounded young people who are respectful, polite and industrious." – Ofsted

BELIEVE  l  ENDEAVOUR  l  SUCCEED

Founded in 1503, Bridgnorth Endowed School has a rich and long history in education.

Today, it is a vibrant co-educational secondary school and sixth form that offers great facilities, high quality teaching and an exciting choice of extra-curricular opportunities.

The school benefits from a thirty-acre campus and its own on-site leisure centre, with all the convenience of a town centre location.

Bridgnorth Endowed School
Northgate, Bridgnorth
Shropshire, WV16 4ER

01746 762103
admin@bridgnorthendowed.co.uk

 
Connect With Us: